LFS 250 Online Tours – UBC Farm Tour & Dairy Farm Tour
Welcome to the online tour page for LFS 250 – Land, Food & Community I! This is where you can find online content for the UBC Farm and Dairy Farm tours that are both part of the course this year. Please take some time to explore the site and all of the content that is provided — we hope that this will provide you with some sense of what it’s like to visit these places in person.
To access the tour sites, please scroll to the bottom of this page and click on the appropriate link. Keep in mind that the Tapestry site will not work using Safari, but Google Chrome, Firefox, etc. should be fine.
For the Dairy Farm Tour, please try and review all of the material presented. It may seem like a lot, but should take you the same amount of time, or slightly less than the actual in-person dairy farm tour that normally happens. Keep these points in mind:
- Just as in a tour of a real dairy, the information provided in the Dairy Farm Tour (each video or post) is from a certain perspective or viewpoint. They are not unbiased descriptions of dairy farms and the variety of benefits and impacts that they have. Many of the posts are from dairy farms and dairy organizations, which have a specific view about dairy production. We’ve tried to provide some different perspectives here as well, while still giving you the information you need to understand the different components of a dairy farm and complete your dairy system diagram. We’ll be talking more about different perspectives on dairy in the coming weeks.
- Start by reading the instructions in the central node of the dairy farm tour site, this will give you some direction about how to approach the material
- We have provided material from three sites – Donia Farms, Farm Food 360, and The Dairy Alliance. All of the material is useful, but your dairy farm system diagram should focus on Donia Farms, which is one of the farms you would normally visit in-person.
- To complete the dairy farm tour, follow the numbered stations in a clockwise direction around the central node of the site.
For the UBC Farm Tour, here are the minimum pieces you should look at:
- LFS 250 UBC Farm Tour page (mandatory)
- Welcome to the UBC Farm page (mandatory)
- UBC Farm Virtual Tour (mandatory if it loads, but it can be slow and take a while! If it doesn’t load, you can access all of the same content through #5, 6, and 7 below)
- Researcher videos (mandatory)
- Audio files (if you can’t access these via the Virtual Tour)
- 360º pictures (if you can’t access these via the Virtual Tour)
- UBC Farm Tour videos (if you can’t access these via the Virtual Tour)
- 360º videos (optional, but the Chicken and Honeybee videos in particular are fun to explore!)
- UBC Farm website (optional, but filled with useful information)
Some instructions about navigating this site:
- Scroll to the bottom of this page to access the different tours and content we have prepared (Dairy Tour to follow later in the term).
- The tour will not work using the Safari browser, but should work on Google Chrome, Firefox, and Internet Explorer
- On the Tapestry tour site, access the tour material by clicking on a “node” and then the link on the top of the node.
- You can access all of the material through the Virtual Tour node (360º photos and videos, audio files, etc.), but the virtual tour can load slowly and may not work on all browsers. Additional information about how to navigate the virtual tour is provided in that node.
- Alternatively, you can access all of the individual content for the tour on the Tapestry site through the appropriate nodes (nodes are labelled 1, 2, 3, …. to help guide your navigation)
- Some of the content is provided through 360º photos and videos. Make sure the click and drag around the photo or video to explore the farm. Links providing audio and video files and other information are also present.
Enjoy the tours!
Created May 6th 06:56
Last modified May 6th 07:24
Created Oct 23rd 23:02
Last modified May 6th 06:49
Created Oct 6th 22:14
Last modified Oct 7th 17:25